The Hospice 5 year strategy 2015-2020 reflects increased commitment to research and for research to form a larger part of the work undertaken at
St Columba’s Hospice.
We recognise the important role of the Hospice, as a centre for excellence, in participating, driving and initiating research to ensure provision of the highest possible quality of Palliative and End of Life Care for patients and their families.
The Education and Research Centre is currently developing a research strategy and will lead on implementing a Research Framework for the Hospice. Our research strategy will be aligned with the Hospice 5 year strategy.
We will collaborate with research teams within Universities and NHS organisations locally, national and internationally.
Our Research Framework will:
- Ensure that our patients and their families receive the best evidenced based care and treatment
- Enable us to demonstrate the effectiveness and impact of our new service developments
- Encourage a culture of enquiry within the Hospice amongst staff, and attract and retain high quality staff
- Offer more patients and families the opportunity to participate in research
- Contribute to the advancement of palliative and end of life care locally, nationally and internationally
Our emphasis is on research and projects that will have a direct impact on practice and support further development of palliative care leading to best possible care and quality of life for patients and their families. We focus on 5 key areas.
- Clinical interventions in Palliative and End of Life Care
We are currently involved in an intervention trial of a treatment aimed at alleviating cancer associated weight loss.
- Innovation in Palliative Care Services
- Psychosocial and emotional care
We are undertaking a project to evaluate and optimise person-centred care within the Hospice.
- Engagement with the Community
We are currently involved in carrying out a review of published literature surrounding community engagement in palliative care.
- Arts and Humanities in Palliative and End of Life Care
Our current research collaborators are:
Professor Marie Fallon, St Columba’s Hospice Chair of Palliative Medicine at the University of Edinburgh and an Honorary Consultant in Palliative Care at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh, Scotland
For further information email Dr Erna Haraldsdottir, Director of Education and Research at St Columba’s Hospice.